Contributing to nBuildKit.MsBuild
There are many ways in which you can contribute to this project. You can:
- Open a new issue describing a bug you found or a new feature you would like.
- Provide a pull-request for a new feature or a bug or even improved documentation.
Reporting bugs and suggesting new features
If you find an issue with the code or you have a great idea for new functionality you can open a new issue. For a bug report please provide as much detail as you can and ideally a good description on how to reproduce the problem. Clear bug reports with reproduction steps will get priority treatment.
For new feature ideas or improvements of existing code please be clear on how the feature or improvement should behave.
Any improvements to the documentation will gladly be accepted. Please put in a pull request for any changes and it will be merged after review.
All code contributions are welcome. To make the process of integrating your contributions into the code base as painless and quick as possible please follow these guideline
- If you are unsure about your idea or implementation feel free to discuss the idea, either by opening an issue or by talking to us on gitter
- Please add suitable tests. Depending on the implementation tests may need to be added in multiple locations
- Custom build tasks have one or more suitable unit tests
- A set of integration tests exist which consist of using the latest version of nBuildKit to execute a set of test builds and verifying that the builds function correctly. Any changes that are made should also update these integration tests
- The following code conventions are used
- The tasks projects use both StyleCop and Code analysis to keep the code consistent. Please ensure that any Code Analysis warnings are resolved
- The code conventions for the MsBuild scripts are
- Attibutes and targets are ordered alphabetically
- Use sensible names for targets, properties and item groups. It is prefered to have slightly longer names which provide more clarity to their purpose. Also note that property and item group names are global meaning that care should be take to ensure that new names don't collide with existing names.
- Try to keep Targets as small as possible so that they are easier to understand
- Any ItemGroups that are defined in the user settings should have a
ShouldLoadXXXXflag that ensures that the item group is only loaded if required. This reduces the number of item groups that need to be loaded at any given time thereby reducing build times.
- Errors should have a code and a helpkeyword defined. Codes are defined in the
shared.errorcodes.propsfile. Any error codes that are needed in custom tasks should be added to the ItemGroup in that file